Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Prop 8 - a response

I have a friend who is gay - he is a such a good guy and I enjoy his friendship. He has sent me a few e-mails urging no on 8. He mentions that he knows I'm probably on the opposite side of the issue. I'm glad he feels he can express his feelings to me, so I took a deep breath and sent him why I'm voting Yes on 8. Thankfully he was respectful and still treats me with kindness as I do him. Here is what I sent, it sums up why I don't feel I can stay silent on this issue.

Dear ______,

I appreciate you sharing your views with me. This is such a tricky election in so many ways. The bottom line is that you know me and you know that I love and care for you and that has nothing to do with our sexual preferences. There are crazies on both sides of every issue and then there are good people who do the best they can to do what they think is right. Basic to my core beliefs are agency and love - in a very literal way I believe we are brothers and sisters and we are on the planet to care for each other.

Here's a peek into my beliefs - I believe in sexual abstinence outside the covenant of marriage. I believe marriage is ordained by God as being between a man and a woman. I believe God speaks to a prophet today as he did in the Bible, why would we be less blessed than those people. I believe happiness is most likely to be found in living as closely to God's commandments as we can based on our understanding through prayer and study.

The highest commandment is love so you will never find me using hate speech or knowingly offend those who don't agree with me. I do however expect that my voice will not be silenced by those who disagree - that's why I appreciate knowing you. We can disagree and still retain mutual respect and friendship. That's what God's people would do until He comes and sorts out all the "stuff" we've messed up. My life is richer because I know you and I count it a blessing that our paths have crossed. I wish you only the best.

4 comments:

Connie said...

Excellent response, Lanette, and I echo every word of it. It breaks my heart that people don't understand that this is not about hate one bit. You and your friend are a good example of how this is supposed to be handled. Thanks for sharing.

Bonnie said...

Lanette this is so awesome. I plan to memorize it just in case. Honestly I am trying to get this blasted computer program to work so I can start my 16 hours of calling. They have made it pretty difficult to get on to your first call...but hopefully the bugs will be gone soon. Either that or the bugs are in my brain...scary thought. Connie said it best...good job!

MARE + 3= CRAZY!!! said...

Lanette thank you for your wisdom & kindness. Can you just come with me & be my side through this whole thing? I get so frustrated when I am asked or spoken to in an unkind way about why I am for Prop 8 that instead of really being able to tell them about why, I feel more like I am defending my stance on it. I wish that I could speak those words as calmly & surely as you did. I wish so badly with all my heart that those opposed to Prop 8 would not make this about hate. It makes me feel so sad that they think we hate anyone. I really really wish that God could just come here & work this all out for us now. I want people to know that there is a GOD & that he is not happy about the way the world is going. That he sees all & knows all & still loves all. That this country is all about God and his people are all about God. I know that the reason that this has come to this is that so many people have forgotten all about God. You don't have to be a bible toting church going people to still have the basic belief in God. But so sadly this is a world that many have removed God from any part of their lifes. Man I just get scared when I think about how lost the world has gotten. I am so blessed that I have friends like you & all the others that help my faith in knowing the there is a God and that we are stading on the right side. Thanks Lanette!

Janelle said...

Good job Lanette, tell us if there is a response to this great letter.