Saturday, May 3, 2008

Fix-it girl

So a few weeks ago I blogged about everything being broken. We could add the oven to that list. It would cook for about 15 minutes and then turn off and beep. Years ago I adopted the philosophy that if I was going to call a repair guy and pay him to tear apart my appliance I might as well tear it apart myself and see what I could do. I've fixed a dryer, garbage disposal, and even some car repairs.
Actually this is the second time I've replaced the sensor in this oven - as you can see from the picture the wires were fried - probably due to the self-cleaning feature which we won't be using anymore. I just disconnected the sensor - immediately recognized the problem - took the part to the appliance parts store where the friendly owner sold me the replacement part and gave me advice on hooking it up. VOILA! The oven lives!! So girls don't be shy about trying some simple home repairs but be sure to turn off the breaker or you'll be electrocuted and that never turns out well...

Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Cathy said...

You are amazing!! Do-it-yourself crazy woman!! I love it! My single Mom raised me and we had to learn to do it all! I think it's incredibly empowering to fix stuff.

MARE + 3= CRAZY!!! said...

YOU GO GIRL!! I love to see women doing things on their own. I love it! I also had to chuckle when you said don't get electrocuted that never turns out well. That was funny, although I have heard that a good volt of electricty can be quite invigorating! :) Oh a good for a quick new hair style! :) :)